Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Flushing in the 1893 Kelly's Directory

FLUSHING is a small village and ecclesiastical parish, formed June 10 1844, from Mylor civil parish, in the Truro division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of East Kerrier, Falmouth union and county court district, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. By the Boundaries Act, 1863 (31 and 32 Vict. c. 46), this place is included in the parliamentary borough of Penryn and Falmouth. On account of the mildness of the climate, Flushing is much frequented by invalids; it is separated from Falmouth by the Penryn River, a wide creek, crossed by ferry boats and is 2½ miles east from Penryn. The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone in the Norman style, opened for divine service in February, 1842, and consecrated in August of the same year, the total cost being about £1,200: it consists of nave, with apse, north porch and a western turret containing one bell: the organ was formerly in Exeter Hall, London: in 1871 the church was renovated and restored at a cost of £170, and a vestry added: the church is now (1893) being restored, at an estimated cost of over £200: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1873. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £176, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Mylor, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Francis Forbes SAVAGE, of University College, Durham. There is a Weslyan chapel, built in 1816, a Bible Christian chapel, built in 1833, and a Primitive Methodist, erected in 1866. In the village is a reading room with a library of over 400 volumes. Trefusis, the seat of the ancient family of that name, of which Lord CLINTON is the present representative, has recently been rebuilt and is beautifully situated on a bold headland out into Falmouth harbour; it is at present unoccupied.  An oyster fishery is carried on here. H.M. ship “Ganges,” a training ship for boys lies off Flushing. Off this headland, in 1814, the “Queen” transport was wrecked in a gale and 195 lives were lost. The population in 1891 was 995.

Parish Clerk, Thomas MENHENNETT.
Post, M.O.&T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. – Michael HAMBLEY, postmaster. Letters through Falmouth, arrive at 8.45 a.m. & 3.30 & 7.15 p.m.; dispatched at 9.15 & 11.15 a.m. & 3.35 & 8.40 p.m.; sundays 10 a.m. only
Wall Boxes (cleared at):
Tregew, 9.25 a.m. & 3.20 & 8.15 p.m.; sunday, 9.25 a.m.
Little Park, 9.30 a.m. & 3.10 & 8.25 p.m.; no sunday collection.
Church Town, 9.35 a.m. & 2.55 p.m.; no sunday collection
Upper Flushing, 9.15 & 11.10 a.m. & 3.15 & 8.40 p.m.; 9.50 a.m. sundays

H.M.S. Ganges (Training Ship for Boys):-
Commander, Capt. John R. PRICKETT
Chaplain & Naval Instructor, Rev. William OXLAND M.A.
Staff Surgeon, Standish T. O’GRADY
Staff Paymaster, James A. BELL
Surgeon, Jerome BARRY M.D.
Assistant Paymaster, Theodore J. LANYON

National School (mixed and infants), built in 1871, for 300 children; average attendance, 88 boys & girls 73 infants; Bruce GREGG, master; Mrs E. M. GREGG, mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

AUSTEN Lieut. E. L. R.N.  H.M.S. Ganges
BADGER James Canning
BARRY Jerome (surgeon R.N.) , H.M.S. Ganges
BELL James A. (staff paymaster R.N. ), H.M.S. Ganges
BERSEY John, 2 St. Peter’s terrace
BRAIMER Lieut. James Louttit R.N.  St. Peter’s terrace
BROWN John, St. Peter’s terrace
BRYANT Nathaniel, Coventry street
CLOAK, John, St. Peter’s terrace
CLOAK Miss, St. Peter’s terrace
COOKE  John Trevor, The Cottage
CORBETT Lieut. Godfrey E. R.N   H.M.S. Ganges
DANIELL Richard, St. John’s place
DAVIES William Henry
DOBLE Matthew, Tregew villa
DOBLE Misses, Tysillick cottage
FREEMAN John Albert, New Quay house
GREGOR Miss, St. Peter’s terrace
HARDY William J.
HARRIS John, St. John’s place
HOCKIN Misses, Little Falmouth
JOHNS John Samuel, Tregew
LANYON Theodore T. (assistant paymaster  R.N. ), H.M.S. Ganges
MAYNE Josiah, Tregew
NORWAY Mrs. Lawn cliff
O’GRADY Standish T. (staff surgeon  R.N. ), H.M.S. Ganges
OLIVEY Mrs. Tregew villa
OXLAND Rev. Wm. M.A.  [chaplain R.N. ], H.M.S. Ganges
PRICKETT Capt. John R., (commander R.N.  ), H.M.S. Ganges
PUNNETT Mrs
RICHARDS Mrs. Tregew
SAVAGE Rev. Francis Forbes, Vicarage
TAUNTON Mrs. Tregew
VAILLANT Miss, Tregew
VAUDREY Misses, Tregew
YATES Mrs. Rockside house

COMMERCIAL.

BEER William Edwin John, baker
BIRD Robert John, farmer
BRAY John, farmer, Tregew
BREWER Chas. Nicholas, coal mer. & grocer
CROCKER Elizh. Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper
DUMBLE William, Insurance Agent
DUNSTAN George Richard, Seven Stars inn & dairyman
FISHER Elizabeth (Mrs.), apartments
Flushing Cricket Club (Joseph PRYOR, sec)
GARLAND Geo. Paul, apartments, St. Peter’s terrace
GEACH William, farmer, Trefusis farm
HAMBLEY Michael, grocer, Post Office
HARRIS Margaret (Miss), dress maker, St John’s place
HARRIS William James, apartments
HITCHINS John, mason
HOCKING Ann (Mrs.) shoe maker
HODGES Horace, oyster merchant
LEE Roberts, boat builder, Little Falmouth
MENHENICK Richard, Standard inn
NICHOLLS Richard, dairyman, Tregew
PEARCE Alfred, shoe maker
PERKIN Thos. apartments, St. Peter’s ter.
PITTICK Joseph, master mariner
PRYOR Mary (Miss), grocer & draper, fancy repository & patent medicine vendor
Reading Room (Joseph TONG, sec)
REES David, blacksmith
REES Robert, boat proprietor
REES Wm. Hy. apartments, St. Peter’s ter
ROACH John, farmer, Trevissome
ROLLASON Thomas Edwin, butcher
ROWE & Sons, grocers
SPURRIER Thomas, carpenter
THOMAS Richard Francis, butcher & farmer, Gonreath & Bellair
TONG Joseph, shopkeeper & carpenter
TREGENZA Richd. boat bldr, Killen quay
WILLIAMS Thomas, cowkeeper
WORTH George, master mariner
Young Women’s Christian Association (Miss Emma S. PUNNETT, hon. sec)

Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Transcribed by Peter Relph 2008