Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Flushing in the 1914 Kelly's Directory

FLUSHING is a small village and ecclesiastical parish, formed June 10 1844, from Mylor civil parish, in the Truro division of the county hundred and petty sessional division of East Kerrier, Falmouth union and county court district, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. By the Boundaries Act, 1863 (31 and 32 Vict. c. 46), this place is included in the parliamentary borough of Penryn and Falmouth. On account of the mildness of the climate, Flushing is much frequented by invalids; it is separated from Falmouth by the Penryn River, a wide creek, crossed by ferry boats and is 2½ miles east from Penryn. The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone in the Norman style, opened for divine service in February, 1842, and consecrated in August of the same year, the total cost being about £1,200: it consists of nave, with apse, north porch and a western turret containing one bell: the organ was formerly in Exeter Hall, London: in 1871 the church was renovated and restored at a cost of £170, and a vestry added, and in 1893 was further restored, at a cost of over £200: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1873. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Mylor, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Francis Forbes SAVAGE, of University College, Durham. There is a Weslyan chapel, built in 1816, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1866. In the village is a Unionist club. Trefusis, the property of the ancient family of that name, of which Lt.-Col. the Hon. Henry Walter HEPBURN-STUART-FORBES-TREFUSIS is the present representative, has been rebuilt and is beautifully situated on a bold headland jutting out into Falmouth harbour; it is occupied by Charles Sydney GOLDMAN esq. M.P. An oyster fishery is carried on here. On the 14th Jan. 1800 the “Queen” transport was wrecked in a gale off Trefusis Point, and 369 lives were lost. The population in 1911 was 887.

Post, M. O., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office.-
Michael HAMBLEY, postmaster. Letters through Falmouth arrive at 8.30 a.m. & 3 & 5.50 p.m.; dispatched at at 11.20 a.m. & 4 & 7.15 p.m.; sundays, 10.15 a.m. only.
Wall Boxes (cleared at). –
Tregew, 11.10 a.m. & 3.35 & 7 p.m.; sunday, 9.45 a.m.
Upper Flushing, 11.20 a.m. & 3.40 & 7.10 p.m.; 9.55 a.m. sundays.
Trefusis Road, 9 a.m. & 3.30 & 6.15 p.m.; sundays 10 a.m.

Church of England Elementary School, built in 1873 & rebuilt in 1899, at a cost of £1,000; average attendance, 93 boys & girls & 41 infants; Bruce GREGG, master; Mrs. E. M. GREGG, mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

BIRD Robert J. Mount Pleasant
BLAMEY John, Tregew
BROWN John
BULLER Charles Dunbar, Trevissome
CLOAK John, St. Peter’s terrace
CROSSMAN Mrs. The Bungalow
DANIELL Ralph Allen, Littlepark
FOSTER Claude, Lawn cliff
__X Francis Joseph, Tregew
GOLDMAN Charles Sydney M.P. Trefusis (T N 35 Penryn); & Walpole house, The Mall, Chiswick W; Carlton  club S W & Constitutional club W C London
GOVER Lawford Dinely M.R.C.S., Clay Point
GREGG Edwin Bruce, Cliffside
HINGSTON Mrs. Kismet, Tregew
HOBLYN Mrs. Tregew
HOCKIN Misses, Little Falmouth
JOHNS Henry S. A. Pennance Vean
KICKE Miss, Tregoddick
LANYON NormanCliff cottage
MCKEE Miss Cardu
OLIVEY Mrs. The Gables
PALMER Clement, Glensilva
REDDIE Peter, Easton
ROGERS Joseph, Iviecliffe
ROONEY Edward, Weston house
ROWE Mrs. Tregew
SAVAGE Rev. Francis Forbes (vicar), Vicarage
SYMONS Miss, St. Peter’s terrace
TILLMAN Arthur, Tregew
TURNER Miss, Brereton
TURNER-FARLEY, Mrs. Rosilian
TYACK Mrs. Tregew
WALLIS Mrs. St. John’s  house

COMMERCIAL

BEER, William Edwin John, baker
BIRD Robert John, farmer, Tregew
CANTELL Ellen (Mrs.), apartments
CLEAVE Robert, draper
COLEMAN Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
CROCKER Elizh. Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
DANIELL Ralph Allen, frmr, Littlepark
DAVIES Asenath (Mrs.), apartments, St. Peter’s terrace
DAVIES James, shoe maker
Flushing Liberal Club (Joseph LAITY sec)
GILBERT Benjamin, net maker
GOLDSWORTHY, Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, St. John’s place
GOVER Lawford Dineley M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon, Clay Point
HALLETT Saml. Chas. Seven Stars inn
HITCHENS John, mason
JOHNS Francis Henry, shopkeeper
JOLLIFFE James, apartments
LAITY William, farmer, Trefusis
LANG Mary (Miss), shopkeeper
LANYON George E., M.B., C.M.Edin. surgeon
LEE Charles, boat builder, Little Falmth
MARTIN John, carpenter
MITCHELL Jane (Mrs.), greengrocer
PAULL Joseph, coal dealer
PERKINS Frances (Mrs.), apartments
PITTICK Joseph, master mariner
POMEROY Everilde (Miss), apartments
POVER Charles, tobacconist
PRYOR Mary (Miss), grocer & draper
REES Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
REES Robert, boat proprietor
REES Wm. Hy. aparts. St. Peter’s ter
ROWE Arthur, aparts, St. Peter’s ter
ROWE Charles, farmer, Tregew
SNELL Gertrude (Mrs.), apartments, St. Peter’s terrace
SNELL Gertrude (Mrs.), dairy
SPEAR Francis, butcher
SPURRIER Thomas, builder & carpenter
THOMAS Edwin, hair dresser
TONG Josph R. carpenter
TRUSCOTT Elizh. (Mrs.), Standard inn
Unionist Club (Gilbert WALLIS, hon. sec)
VIVIAN & Sons, coal merchants

Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Transcribed by Peter Relph 2008