Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Mylor in 1893 Kelly's Directory

Mylor is a parish 2 miles east from Penryn, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier East, Falmouth Union and county court district, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. Under the provisions of the “Boundary Act, 1868,” part of the parish of Mylor, forming the ecclesiatical district of Flushing, is included in the parliamentary borough of Penryn and Falmouth.
Mylor is bounded on the east and south by Falmouth harbour, on the north by Restronguett Creek – navigable to Perran-ar-worthal village, and on the south and towards the west it is washed by a navigable creek stretching up to Penryn borough and is intersected by Mylor Creek, at the head of which is the pretty village of Mylor Bridge; a small stream of fresh water from the west here flows into the creek, and is crossed by a bridge of one arch.Mylor consists of two “mounts;” the larger one on the north-west, belongs to Colonel Arthur TREMAYNE; the south-western “mount” or division, belongs chiefly to Lords CLINTON and SAYE and SELE, but a part is in the possession of Francis Gilbert ENYS Esq. of Enys, and there are other lands, once the property of the Bishops of Exeter, but now belonging to a Thomas PAGE Esq. of Trevissome and the Rev. Thomas RATCLIFFE M.A. A line drawn from Tarra Point, towards the south, and next to Penarrow Point, to Mesack Point in St. Just, on the opposite north-eastern point of the harbour constitutes the boundary between the ports of Falmouth and Truro. Mylor church and parish take their name from Meilyr (or Melorus), the son of a British prince, who embraced Christianity , and was put to death for so doing, on the spot where the church now stands, On August 28th, 411. The church of St. Mylor, or Melorus, originally Norman, and dedicated in 1308, is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, transept, south porch, and an embattled turret on the western gable: at some distance from the church stands a detached belfry containing 3 bells, recast in 1888 as a memorial to the late Rev. J. W. MURRAY, a former vicar, the original dates (1637 and 1634) being repeated; the old bell of Trefusis church, dated 1767, has also been presented to this church by Lord CLINTON: in the church are memorials to the Trefusis family from 1615 to 1832, and these include a handsome monument with an effigy; there are other memorials to the families of BONYTHON (1697-1728), LEMON (1728-1868) and YESCOMBE (1803-26), besides various tablets and inscribed stones: the chancel has a mosaic reredos, by Salviati, and there is a richly-carved chancel screen: the pulpit is also an elaborate work, and in 1892 a handsome brass lectern was presented by Mrs. OLIVEY of Tregew, in memory of her late husband: an ancient piscina, discovered in removing the foundations of the old vicarage house, has been placed on the south side: the font and north and west doorways are Norman: there are 400 sittings. The ancient churchyard cross, discovered during the restoration, has been re-erected near the south porch; it is a monolith of grey granite, 17 feet 6 inches long, with a four-holed Greek cross at the head and as now set up, stands about 11 feet above ground. There are two yew trees in the churchyard, one of which covers a space of more than 90 feet in diameter, and is said to have been planted about 300 years ago. In 1871 the Government granted a piece of land for the extension of the burial ground and for the making of a new road round the east side of the church. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge commuted at £215, average £163, net yearly value £189, including 14 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Charles William Sackville TAUNTON B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Lord CLINTON is the lay impropriator, the rectorial rent-charge amounts to £405. The mission church, at Mylor Bridge, erected in 1892, will seat 200 persons; services are held here  by the clergy of the Mylor parish church and by a lay reader licensed to the parish; the old mission church is now used as a Sunday school. At Mylor Bridge are Weslyan and Bible Christian chapels. There is a range of government storehouses and a dockyard near the church, occupying an area of about 15 acres, with a convenient pier; and in the valley, close to the church, is a large reservoir of fresh water for the supply of H.M. ships. A reading room and library was erected at Mylor Bridge by Col. TREMAYNE, in 1880. At Restronguett are the remains of the burial ground of a religious house ,  measuring about half an acre, and formerly connected with  Loe chapel, Feock. Mylor feast, formerly held on 21st August, is now held on the Sunday nearest 25th October. Carclew, the seat of Colonel Arthur TREMAYNE D.L., J.P. about 1½ miles from the village, is an elegant mansion, in the Ionic style of archetecture, built in 1749, near the site of the old house, from designs by William Edwards, a self-educated architect: the exterior has a noble appearance, the principal or south front, opening to a sweep of lawn, lined with masses of drooping foliage: the west front overlooks a wooded valley, bounded by distant hills, and the deer park and plantations occupy an area of over a square mile , and the approach to the house is through an avenue of lofty trees nearly a mile long: a lodge was erected at the south entrance in 1871. Trevissome, the seat of Thomas PAGE esq. situated on an eminence, half a mile from the town of Flushing, commands a fine view of the harbour, castle and surrounding scenery. On the north-east side of Mylor Creek is Great Wood, the seat of Alexander GORDON esq. Lord CLINTON D.L. who is lord of the manor, and Col. Arthur TREMAYNE D.L. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is brown clay; subsoil, the gravelly glacial drift deposit upon the killas rock formation. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and turnips. The area of Mylor and Flushing is 3,596 acres of land and 1,080 of tidal water, and 259 of foreshore; rateable value, £6,709; the population in 1891 was 2,238.
Hon. Parish Clerk, Lawrence KNAPP.
Hon. Sexton, R. A. DANIELL.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Mylor Bridge, - Edward Gibson HANKINS, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Penryn at 9 a.m. & 2.45 p.m.; dispatched at 10 a.m. & 3.25 p.m.
There is a Government Naval Establishment here.
Places of Worship, with times of services: -
St. Mylor’s Church, Rev. Charles William Sackville TAUNTON B.A.; 11 a.m. & 6.30p.m.; wed & fri 11 a.m.
Mission Church, Mylor Bridge; sundays 6.30 p.m.; thurs, 7 p.m.
Bible Christian; 2.30 & 6 p.m.; fri. 7 p.m.
Weslyan; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m.
Schools: -
National, Mylor Bridge, for 240 children; average attendance, 74 boys, 62 girls & 56 infants; Philip ASHTON, mast.
National, Enys, for 50 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Mary THOMAS, mistress

Mylor

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

ALDERMAN William Charles, Albion cottage
BEALEY Adam Fras. Nan-Trelew cottage
BOYD Mrs. Weir cottage, Restronguett
DANIELL Ralph Allen, Littlepark
DOBLE Misses, Tysillic
FISHER Charles, Restronguett
GORDON Alexander, Great Wood
HOBLYN Misses, Pentrelew
PAGE Thomas, Trevissome
PRICKETT John R. (captain H.M.S. Ganges), Admiralty house
ROWE John Reed, Grove cottage
SMYTH Capt. Chas. Knox R.N. Restronguett
SWAIN Lieut HY. Thos. R.N. The Weir
TAUNTON Rev. Charles Wm. Sackville B.A. Vicarage
THORNELOE John, Beach cot. Mylor creek
TREMAYNE Col. Arthur D.L. J.P. Carclew [letter received through Perran-Arworthal R.S.O.

COMMERCIAL

BARNICOAT Edwin, mason, Trelew
BATH Alfred, farmer; furnished apartments during summer months, Church Town farm
BENNETT Alexander, market gardener, Tregatreath
BISHOP John, farmer, Tregarrack
BULLMORE Lucy (Mrs.), farmer, Trelew
CLYMO Amelia (Mrs.), Pandora Inn, Restronguett Passage way
DANIELL Ralph Allen, farmer, Landerio
DUNSTAN George Richard, farmer, Porloe, Mount Stewart
FISHER Blance (Miss), dress maker, Restronguett
GEACH William, farmer, Halwyn; & Trefusis, Flushing
HEARLE Matt, Angove, farmr, Carvanick
HOLMAN Michael Henry, farmer, Restronguett
LAWRENCE Theophilus Lindsay, farmer, Canara
LOWRY John, dairyman, Penscove
MOORE Richd. Jn. farmer, Trelew farm
OPIE Nicholas, coal & timber merchant, Restronguett wharf
PAINTER Richard, resident agent to Col. Arthur TREMAYNE D.L. J.P. Carclew
PEARCE Joseph, master mariner & coal mer., Alexandra cottage, Tregatreath
PEARCE Robert, boot ma. Tregatreath
PIKE Hy. market gardener, Woodlands
PORTER William, farmer, Trelew
RAWLIN Samuel, farmer, Little Carclew
RICKARD Thomas William, dairyman, Tregatreath
ROACH John, farmer, Trevissome
ROGERS Thomas, farmer, Carsawsen fm
ROGERS Wm. Richd. Stockdale, Goonreath
ROLLASON Alfred, farmer, Tregarrack
RUNDLE William, farmer, Dowstall
SARA Stephen, farmer, West Bellair
STEVENS James, farmer, Crownick farm, Restronguett hill
TERGENZA Jn. jobbing gardener, Trelew
THOMAS Mary Ann (Mrs.), apartments, Pennarow villa
THOMAS William, farmer, Lewithick
TONG William Henry, assessor & collector of taxes, assistant overseer, rate collector, registrar of births & deaths for Mylor sub-district. Falmouth union & school attend. officer, Tregatreath

Mylor Bridge

ASHTON John
BALL Harry
CREAGH Major John Kerin, Rosehill cot
DOWNE Mrs. Lime villa
HALL George, Bellear cottage
KNAPP Lawrence, Rose hill
LAVIN Michael
LAWRENCE Joseph, Hope cottage
MOORE Thos. Michael, Restronguett hill
PIERCE Robert Ladbroke, Clinton ter
WILMOT William

COMMERCIAL

BLACKLER James, butcher
COLLIER James Cobbledick, market gardnr
FROST Annie (Miss), dress maker
FROST Edith (Miss), dress maker
GILBERT Joseph, nurseryman
HANKINS Edwd Gibson, painter, Post off
HODGE John, watch maker
JENKIN Thomas Richd. master mariner
JOHNS Arthur, Lemon Arms P.H. & farmer
JOHNS John, jobbing gardener
LAWRENCE John, farmer
MAY John, shoe maker
MOORE Grace (Mrs.), market gardener
MOORE Thomas, grocer, provision dealer & miller (water)
NICHOLLS Elliott, farmer, Peneweth
NOSWORTHY Gilbert John, tailor
PEARCE John, market gardener
Reading Room & Library (John ASHTON, librarian)
REES David, blacksmith
SKINNER Thomas, grocer
TALLACK Sampson, boot maker
THOMAS Joseph, carpenter
THOMAS Richard, butcher
THOMAS William, mason
TREGENZA Sarah (Miss), grocer
TREGENZA Thomas William, farmer
TRESISE R.G. & Son, carpenters & wheelwrights
TRESISE James, carpenter & wheelwright

 

Mylor/Flushing Home Page

Transcribed by Peter Relph 2008