Mylor/Flushing Home Page
Mylor in 1914 Kelly's Directory
Mylor is a parish 2 miles east from Penryn, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier East, Falmouth union and county court district, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. Under the provisions of the “Boundary Act, 1868,” part of the parish of Mylor, forming the ecclesiastical district of Flushing, is included in the parliamentary borough of Penryth and Falmouth.
Mylor is bounded on the east and south by Falmouth harbour, on the north by Restronguet Creek – navigable to Perran-ar-worthal village, and on the south and towards the west it is washed by a navigable creek stretching up to Penryn borough and is intersected by Mylor creek, at the head of which is the pretty village of Mylor Bridge; a small stream of fresh water from the west here flows into the creek, and is crossed by a bridge of one arch. Mylor consists of two “mounts”; the larger one, on the north-west, belongs to Captain William Francis TREMAYNE;the south-western “mount” or division, belongs chiefly to Lieut.-Col. the Hon. H. W. HEPBURN-STUART-FORBES-TREFUSIS, but a part is in the possession of the Rev. Enys H. ENYS of Enys, and there are other lands, once the property of the Bishops of Exeter, but now belonging to the trustees of Ambrose T. LETHBRIDGE esq. A line drawn from Tarra Point, towards the south, and next to Penarrow Point, to Mesack Point in St. Just on the opposite or north-eastern point of the harbour, constitutes the boundary between the ports of Falmouth and Truro. Mylor church and parish take their name from Meilyr (or Melorus), the son of a British prince, who embraced Christianity , and was put to death for so doing, on the spot where the church now stands, on August 28th, 411. The church of St. Mylor, or Melorus, originally Norman, and dedicated in 1308, is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, transept, south porch, and an embattled turret on the western gable: at some distance from the church stands a detached belfry containing 3 bells, recast in 1888 as a memorial to the late Rev. J. W. Murray, a former vicar, the original dates (1637 and 1634) being repeated; the old bell of Trefusis church, dated 1767, has also been presented to this church by Lord CLINTON: in the church are memorials to the Trefusis family from 1615 to 1832, and these include a handsome monument with an effigy; there are other memorials to the families of Bonython (1697-1728), Lemon (1728-1868) and Yescombe (1803-26), besides various tablets and inscribed stones: the chancel has a mosaic reredos, by Salviati, and there is a richly-carved chancel screen: the pulpit is also an elaborate work, and in 1892 a handsome brass lectern was presented by Mrs. OLIVEY of Tregew, in memory of her late husband: an ancient piscina, discovered in removing the foundations of the old vicarage house, has been placed on the south side: the font and north and west doorways are Norman: there are 400 sittings. The ancient churchyard cross, discovered during the restoration, has been re-erected near the south porch; it is a monolith of grey granite, 17 feet 6 inches long, with a four-holed Greek cross at the head and as now set up, stands about 11 feet above ground. There are two yew trees in the churchyard, one of which covers a space of more than 90 feet in diameter, and is said to have been planted about 300 years ago. In 1871 the Government granted a piece of land for the extension of the burial ground and for the making of a new road round the east side of the church. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £271, including 14 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Richard Gazely PARKER M.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Carnmarth. The incumbency carries with it the right to the presentation to the living of Flushing. Lt.-Col. the Hon. H. W. HEPBURN-STUART-FORBES-TREFUSIS is the lay improprietor; the rectorial rent-charge amounts to £405. The mission church at Mylor Bridge, erected in 1892, will seat 250 persons; services are held here by the clergy of Mylor parish; the old mission church, now used as a Sunday school, was in 1906 presented to the vicar for church purposes by the late Col. A. TREMAYNE. At Mylor Bridge are Weslyan and United Methodist chapels. Near the parish church is a range of governmet storehouses and smiths’ and carpenter’s houses and a dockyard, occupying an area of about 15 acres, with a convenient pier; and in the valley, close to the church, is a large reservoir of fresh water for the supply of H.M. ships; a new disinfector was built in 1897; this is at present (1914) let to Mr. Alfred BATH. A reading room and library was erected at Mylor Bridge by the late Col. Arthur Tremayne, in 1880. At Restronguet are the remains of the burial ground of a religious house, measuring about half an acre, and formerly connected with Looe chapel, Feock. Mylor feast, formerly held on the 21st August, is now held on the Sunday nearest 25th October. Carclew, the seat of Capt. William Francis TREMAYNE, about 1½ miles from the village, is an elegant mansion, in the Ionic style of architecture, built in 1749, near the site of the old house, from designs by William Edwards, a self-educated architect: the exterior has a noble appearance, the principal or south front opening to a sweep of lawn, lined with masses of foliage: the west front overlooks a wooded valley, bounded by distant hills; the deer park and plantations occupy an area of over a square mile, the approach to the house is through an avenue of lofty trees nearly a mile long: a lodge was erected at the south entrance in 1871. Trevissome, the property and residence of Charles William DUNBAR-BULLER esq. D.L. J.P. is a handsome stone mansion, situated on an eminence, half a mile from the town of Flushing , and commanding a fine view of the harbour, castle and surrounding scenery. On the north-east side of Mylor Creek is Great Wood, the seat of J. Gregory BOND esq. Lt. – Col. the Hon. H. W. HEPBURN-STUART-FORBES-TREFUSIS, who is lord of the manors of Trefusis and Tregew, and Capt. W. F. TREMAYNE, of Carclew, who is lord of the manor of Restronguet, are the principal landowners. The soil is brown clay; subsoil, the gravelly glacial drift deposit upon the killas rock formation. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and turnips. The area of Mylor is 3,590 acres of land, 3 of water, 34 of tidal water and 259 of foreshore; rateable value £8,107; the population in 1911 was 1,979 in the civil parish and 1092 in the ecclesiatical parish.
Post, M.O. & T. Office, Mylor Bridge, - Miss Hannah HANKINS, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Penryn at 8.30 a.m. & 3 p.m.; dispatched at 11 a.m. & 3.50 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes – Restonguett Passage, cleared at 9 a.m. & 3.30 p.m. week days only; Little Park, 11 a.m. 3.30 & 6.50 p.m. week days only; Vicarage, 10.50 a.m.3.20 & 6.40 p.m., week days only; Penscove, 11,20 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.; sunday 10.20 a.m.; Trelaw, 10 a.m. & 3 p.m. week days only.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services.
St. Mylor’s church, Rev. Richard Gazely PARKER M.A. vicar & rural dean; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily matins 8 a.m.
Mission Church, Mylor Bridge, sundays 6.30 p.m.; thurs evensong, 7 p.m.
United Methodist, Mylor Bridge; 2.30 p.m & 6 p.m.; tues. 7 p.m.
Weslyan Mathodist, Mylor Bridge; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m.
Public Elementary School, Mylor Bridge, for 240 children; average attendance 54 boys, 54 girls & 50 infants; John P. S. aSHTON, master.
This school is under the control of the Truro & Falmouth District Education Committee; Arthur A. CLINNICK, Boscowan street, Truro, secreatary.
Randall & Ferris, omnibus, from Mylor Bridge to Flushing, 4 times on tues. & sat
BAXTER Archie George
BEACH Miss, The Beacon
BOND John Gregory, Great Wood; & Royal Thames Yacht, Junior Constitutional & Royal Automobile clubs, London W
BOYD Mrs. Trenewth, Restronguet
CARTER Mrs. Trelew
CHAMBERLAIN Hugh W. Trenewth, Restronguet
CHAWORTH-MUSTERS Henry Chaworth, Nan-Trelew
DUNBAR-BULLER Charles William D.L., J.P. Trevissome
HARCOURT George, Whitehope
HEARLE Matthew Angove, Glenmore
JOHNSON Alfred, Tregatreath
LARKING Lt. Arthur Geo.Otter Lodge
MATHEWS Major Charles, The Turnings
MERRICK Henry John, Folieu
METCALF Frank, Creek cottage
NEWMAN Ernest, Beach cottage
OLIVEY Hugh Pengilly, Albion house
PARLER Rev. Richard Gazely M.A. (vicar & rural dean), The Vicarage
PETHYBRIDGE Wm. Hy. Carrick cottage
ROGERS Thomas, Trelew
ROWE Mrs. Grove
SMYTH Mrs. Restronguet
THUNN Count Leo, Restronguet
TREMAYNE Capt. William Francis J.P. Carclew (letters received through Perranarworthal Station, Cornwall)
WATSON John L. Ruallen
WEST Edwd. Arth. Sunnyside, Trelew
ANDREWS John James, apartments
BARNICOAT Edwin, mason, Trelew
BATH Alfred N. frmr Church Town fm.
BENNETT Alex, boat builder, Trelew
COPP Annie Louisa (Mrs.), dairy farm & refreshment rooms, Mylor dockyard.
COPP Samuel, refreshment rooms
DUNSTAN R. J. tea gardens, refreshment rooms, boarding house & farmer, Church Town.
DUNSTAN Richard, farmer, Porloe, Mount Stewart & Lewithick
FISHER Blanche (Miss), dress maker, Restronguet
KEVERN Samuel, apartments
LAWRENCE Hugh, farmer, Canara
LOWRY John, dairyman, Pencove
MOORE Richd. Jn. farmr Trelew farm
NICHOLLS Wm. Hy. farmer, Crownick frm
PEARSE Clara (Miss), apartments
PIKE Henry, florist, Woodlands
PORTER Wm. carman, Six Turnings
RENDALL Lucy (Mrs.), apartments, Restronguet
RENDALL William Henry, Pandora inn, Restronguet passage
RICKARD Mary Hannah (Mrs.), dairy
ROACH John, farmer, Trevissome
ROGERS Edith (Mrs.), frmr, Tregunwith
ROGERS Thos. farmer, Carsawsen farm
ROGERS Wm. Henry, farmer, Halwyn
RUNDLE Wm. J. Rossall, farmer, Dowstall
THOMAS Fanny (Miss), apartments, Pennarow villa
ASHTON John Philip Stphn. School ho.
FROST William Johns, Soughleigh
JOHNS Alfred George, Rosehill cottage
LAVIN Mrs. Hillside
MOORE Thomas Michael, Ash villa
BATES Alfred Ernest, Lemon Arms, P.H.
BROWN James S. Michael, shopkeeper
COLLIER Jas. Cobbledick, market gardener
DOWNE Edward John, shopkeeper
FROST Edith (Miss), dress maker
FROST William J. grocer
GILBERT Joseph, assistant overseer & clerk to Parish Council & farmer
GILBERT Leonard, carrier proprietor
HOLLINGWORTH James Edward, boot ma.
JENKIN Thomas Richd. master mariner
JOHNS John, jobbing gardener
MOORE Benjamin, market gardener
MOORE Thomas, farmer, Angarrick
MOORE Thomas Michael, grocer
NICHOLLS Richd. James, frmr, Penoweth
Reading Room & Library (John P.S. ASHTON, librarian)
REES William, blacksmith
TALLACK Alfd. market gardner. Stockdale
TREGENZA John, farmer, Carvinock
TREGENZA Thos. Wm. frmr. Tregoweth
TRESISE John Pentecost, carpenter
Mylor/Flushing Home Page
Transcribed by Peter Relph 2008