RelphWillisgenealogypages
Genealogy of the Relph & Willis families
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 96» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


Fox & Hounds, East Place, West Norwood c.1870's
Presumably Thomas & Christiana Relph & family




Fox & Hounds c.1870s

This was taken in the 1870s, so highly likely the Relph family can be seen. This little beerhouse was hidden away in an obscure side street behind the Hope public house.
It was overshadowed by the railway viaduct running into West Norwood Station.

According to legend, it was always referred to as the Old Top Hat because someone had once climbed to the top of the swinging signpost & placed a top hat on it. This hat remained there for so long that it gave the public house its nickname.
Behind the Fox & Hounds was a large room where the local bird fanciers would gather on a Sunday morning. This room was also used for ‘Smoking Concerts’.
The Fox & Hounds closed in 1910 & the building was taken over by a firewood dealer. It was demolished in 1937/38, together with the rest of East Place.
[Sue Drumm]


Owner/SourceSue Drumm, West Norwood historian
File nameFox&Hounds1870s.jpg
File Size364.72k
Dimensions369 x 623
Linked toFamily: RELPH/SPRINGETT (F48)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 96» Next»     » Slide Show